Fall/Winter Bedroom Makeover


As the weather gets colder and the days get shorter and darker, my DNA seems to be pushing me to hunker down and get cozy.  My crisp white bedroom wasn't quite doing the trick.  I dreamed big dreams of getting this bedding from West Elm:


However, after a short and sweet discussion with the hubster, we decided groceries would take precedence.  Being a true Taurus, I did not let this financial fluff interfere with my vision, and instead purchased a couple of boxes of RIT fabric dye and attempted my first dye-it-in-the-front-loader.  After the basement disaster and the pipe fiasco, I figured that if things came in three's, wrecking the machine would at least end our streak. (I did not share this methodology with my husband.)


I grabbed a white Ikea duvet set we had on hand - my go-to white cover before the lovely West Elm one entered my life - crossed every conceivable extremity, and began pouring the inky black liquid into my defenceless machine.  It worked!!  It did turn out darker than these photos show it, although I certainly could have done with another couple of boxes of dye.  But overall I am pleased as punch.



I draped these Afgani pillows from Aunt D over the frame of the bed to help warm it up a little more.  I McGivered them on with my handy office clips so they wouldn't slip off every time we moved.  I put a spare rug we had over the foot of the bed, but it's the wrong colour and I kind of wish I had noticed and taken it off before I took the photos. I also took off the white bed skirt to show more of the rug.

Someone's camera-happy kid needed to get in the shot...amazingly with no funny face.

The Buddha is a very recent Value Village find - after paying the plumber for the pipes I needed to so some stress-relieving thrifting! He was a sad, peeled and chipped dark red colour for $4.99, and was just crying out for the my gold spray paint. I am very happy with the way he turned out, and he reminds me to just BREATHE. :)


Now I really want to change out the art for something richer... and maybe see if I have any darker curtains squirreled away somewhere...  But so far I like my bedroom change-up, hopefully it keeps the chilly weather at bay.  What do you think?  Any ideas for art?

12 comments:

  1. LOVE THE BUDDHA!!! Amazing find!!! Great way to easily switch up for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I love your reasoning for attempting the dye in your washing. Sounds like my reasoning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace_senseandsimplicityNovember 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

    You are mighty brave to even consider trying the DIY dyes. Good for you that it looks fantastic. I love it with the carpet especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try the RIT dye on a throw blanket, but haven't worked up the courage yet. What colour did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Babe! I was pretty happy to find the Buddha - I have been looking for a nice one for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sylvia - I agree, I was quite pleased with how well they went together! I am tempted to dye it darker again, but might wait on it a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used black and Pearl Grey but I think I should have used 2 of each instead. The grey made it more purpley I think, although I don't mind it! I have been Dye-ing (groan, so sorry) to try dying in the machine - the bathtub is just so messing. RIT has good instructions if you are considering it - and I highly recommend it! (http://www.ritdye.com/dyeing-techniques/washing-machine)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I wanted to achieve the same dark grey, but only saw the pearly grey in the store and wondered about mixing it with black. Thanks so much for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, that turned out nice! Very cozy. I RIT dyed my wedding dress crinoline (my something blue) and I was terrified I'd ruin the machine too! But it worked. How about a blown up moody black and white photo for art?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerry @ First Time FancyNovember 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM

    so cozy Lisa! Looking great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an awesome idea Jen! I was also half thinking about doing a big print of the moon in a gold or black frame... yay more projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kerry, it does feel cozier! Amazing what colour can do for your mood... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment - they always make my day!